Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Enola Holmes, Sherlock's Younger Sister!

I actually saw this book recommended on the Class Genre Project under mystery, and as soon as I saw the title Enola Holmes, I had to read it. However, I decided to read the first one because of the fact I hate coming into the middle of a series without reading the previous ones. It drives me crazy. This book was so much better than I thought it was going to be. It was a great read! I thought Enola was a great female role model and breaks the stereotypical traditions of 19th Century London. I So, enjoy reading my little description!


Title: Enola Holmes and the Case of the Missing Marquess 
Author: Nancy Springer
Publisher: Puffin
ISBN Number: 0142409332
What's Great about it: Ever since I was little, I have always enjoyed reading Sherlock Holmes' spin-offs and alterations, especially the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movies. Personally, I do not find Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as the most engaging writer, but I love the plot of those beloved books, I grew up on The Great Mouse Detective and always love the story. So, when I saw this title I knew I had to give it a try. It's really great on how empowering Enola is. She is smart, well learned, and feels that she is a shame to her mother because Enola was born so many years after her brothers Mycroft and Sherlock. Enola's mother is eccentric at best and Enola and her mother's bonding time is leave each other cryptic anagrams so they can communicate. On Enola's twelfth birthday, her mother disappears. Enola is desperate to find her, however, she cannot. Enola is forced to send word to her elder brothers and they come immediately. However, it is revealed that her mother has been stealing from Mycroft for many years for excuses to pay for Enola's education, dresses, the gardener, the stables for the horses, all of which Enola does not have or have access to. Enola is confused and walks into her mother's room and finds an anagram just for her. The mantra her mother always told her "You're going to be fine on your own," is ringing in her ears and she finds hundreds upon hundreds of pounds stored in various places for Enola to use. Enola realizes that her mother gave her the greatest gift of all. A chance to runaway from the conventional life Mycroft wants her to be part of such as go to finishing school and become a "proper" lady. However, Enola realizes she has freedom and runs away to London to open up her own detective agency, narrowly escaping her brothers finding her. This book is really a great read because you learn about the importance of the power of deduction and journey with Enola on her quest to find her mother once more. 
Series Information: Springer has made an entire series of it.There are six books currently released. 
What's Like it:  The Great Mouse Detective, Veronica Mars, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes films starring Robert Downey Jr., The Girl is Murder, Ruby in the Smoke 

No comments:

Post a Comment